The traditional store bought Mac and Cheese is filled with nasty ingredients we can't even pronounce! There are studies that have showed 10 brands of Mac and Cheese were tested positive for the chemical Phthalate. This is a a hormone-disrupting chemical that can affect our hormones and thyroid function. Thank god for home made recipes that are healthy & delicious.
Time 20 min | Servings 4-6
What you need:
3 cups of gluten free pasta (i.e. brown rice/ quinoa)
10 cups of collard greens (or can be spinach/ kale)
2 cups cashews (soaked overnight)
2 cups water
½ cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika powder
1 tbsp macadamia nuts grated
How to make it:
1. Put the cashews in a glass container and let them soak overnight or at least for 6 hours.
2. Once soaked, drain and rinse and place in a high-speed blender.
3. Add water, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, lemon juice, turmeric powder, and garlic powder to the cashews and blend for 1-2 minutes on high speed.
4. In a pot with boiling water, add pasta of choice and cook as instructed on the package.
5. While pasta is cooking, in a separate pot of boiling water, steam collard greens 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove the collard greens and place it into a serving bowl.
7. When pasta is ready, drain the water and serve on top of collard greens.
8. Pour cheese sauce over it and add toppings
·Cashews are high in minerals (iron, zinc, selenium).
·Nutritional yeast is high in vitamin B6 and B12.
·Turmeric is a superfood with anti-inflammatory properties.
·Collard greens have detoxifying properties.